Updated: Nov 23
How to watch a Spanish film if you are a language learner.
With the recent success of Spanish series like “La casa de papel” (Money Heist), the launch of Almodovar’s new film “Pena y gloria” (Pain and Glory) and internationally awarded movies like “Todo sobre mi madre” (All about my mother), every language learner has the same question: What is the best way to watch a Spanish series or movie? Should I watch it in English with Spanish subtitles? Or perhaps is best to watch it in Spanish with English subtitles? No subtitles at all?
If you are a beginner, here is the best way to watch Spanish cinema. Follow our 5-step rule and find yourself improving your language skills faster than you think.
1. Choose a Spanish movie you like: we always learn better, when motivation comes along.
2. Watch the entire film once in your own language without subtitles: Yes, that is right, it will help you remember the scenes and the context and make you fully aware of what is going on.
3. Now watch it again in Spanish with Spanish subtitles: this will make your listening and pronunciation skills improve and you will recognise words easily. In addition, you always have the chance to stop the film and rewind to repeat what they just said.
4. Watch it all over again: bring the child you have inside who has seen E.T and Frozen countless times. You will realise you are able to even reproduce some of the dialogues.
5. Write down the new expressions you have learned and try to replicate them in a conversation.
That is the true key for learning a language; it is all about repetition, isn’t it?
Do you agree? Can you recall any movie “utterances” you learned by heart?
Besides, if you love Almodovar like we do, Helena Pallares, (one of our favourite artists) will be exhibiting her works of the portraits of Almodovar's most famous actresses this weekend at King's Cross (London). The style of collages is unique. Find more information about her on her Instagram account Helenapallaresillustration.
If you wish to know more about our Spanish courses, click here
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Facebook